Its T-14 days until we go on 4th of July Vacation!
Many of my readers ask me “How in the world do you travel without eating out?”
I will tell you it is a skill.
A few days ago I started to get ready. We will be on vacation from the 3-7th. That’s 16 meals and snacks. I have figured out a few things that help me take the stress out of eating when not at home. Who wants to have a reaction on vacation and end up sick! NOT THIS GIRL!
First I think about what I am going to be doing. This is going to be a whirlwind vacation! We will be playing tourist and staying in a new place every night. I lived in Washington Dc for many years so we have a ton of friends to visit. I know we will be walking everywhere and visiting friends and monuments, so meals will be on the fly. I need to make sure that I have food on me at all times. Now for those of you who have not visited DC in July to words.. HOT and Muggy! So I have to think of things that are filling, won’t spoil and are light to carry.
What kind of foods can I have with me that won’t be horrible in the heat?? I start with my portable food.
Last night I ordered easy, prepackaged, travel friendly items:
- Enjoy Life Sunnut Butter Bars I have left these in the car in Austin in 110 degree weather. Now they didn’t taste awesome after that but they were edible. All the major allergen’s free
- Heather’s Tummy Fiber Pouches- I always have one or two in my purse to add to my Protein shakes. They help me feel full and are super easy on my tummy. They also help my blood sugar stay stable.
- Numi White tea with White Rose- White tea is a huge anti histamine! This tea is lovely to drink hot or Iced. I make a nice big container for the day and drink till my heart is content.
- Vega One Pouches Chocolate- Every morning I have 2 servings with My Heather’s tummy fiber mixed in. The cost on this one is pricey but I get nervous traveling with large amounts of “Powder” that I put in zip locks myself, on airplanes. I have had things taken away from me even though I have a letter from my doctor explaining I have food issues. No one seems to care when they are prepackaged. I also carry them with me for quick meals when food cannot be found.
- Sunbutter Sunflower Seed Spread On the go Packages Theses are lifesavers! Once I had to survive a 6 hour layover only on sunbutter. I always have them with me!
Things that help carry food or stop allergies :
- TostaBags- Yest these things work. I usually bake a loaf of allergy friendly bread to take with me on trips. If I want toast but am afraid of contamination. This is what I use.
- Blue Tansy/ Jojoba oil- Blue tansy is a POWERFUL Antihistamine. This oil is light enough for me to spray in a room or put on my face. I find it very use full in homes where pets reside.
- Collapsible 3 compartment Lunch box. I wanted to find something that would not leak in my travel bag AND something that would not leak! This does the trick. After I eat I give it a good rinse and collapse it down. Its very light so I don’t mind carrying it when we are out and about.
- Blender Bottle- BPA Free! This baby mixes my shakes on the go when I can’t bring my Blendtec with me. It also seals tight enough that I can put my ice tea in it for the day as well!
- Insulated Backpack Now this is not the one I have, but it is close. I am looking for a custom purse that someone will insulate for me. I found some on etsy but they were pretty heavy. Ideas?
I hope this list will get your imagination going. I know I have a pretty extensive list of allergies ( I am gluten free and vegan to name a few)
so if you are avoiding only one or 2 things this list should help you get started.
I would love to hear from you about what you travel with!
Tomorrow will be about meal planning and how I do it…